#TEAMGLUTENFREE is at it again! I am running for the 2020 Virtual charity challenge. Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease…
Hello my name is Jessica Danford, GFREEWIFEY. I can’t wait to see you at Gluten Free Garage! My mission is to raise awareness about celiac disease while advocating access to safe food for all. Food insecurity is a growing concern in Canada, with more than a million people accessing a food bank each month. Those of us who are medically required to adhere to a strict gluten-free diet know how costly it can be. This motivated me to focus my energy on advocating access to safe food for people experiencing food insecurity.
I started Gfreewifey Food-Bank at the beginning of May 2018. As a community we have accomplished so much together. Starting with a 200 pound food donation from all the attendees of GFG18 and a $1000 donation to the Daily Bread, but it did not stop there!
Check out the all the #GFREEWIFEYFOODBANK community achieved together;
- $1000 Daily Bread Food Bank – May 2018
- 200 Pounds of food donated to Red Cross Mobile Food bank – May 2018
- $1000 donation to The Stop Food Bank – August 2018
- Nominated for Daily Bread Best in Class award Community Champion – September 2018
- $1000 to the Canadian Celiac Association – October 2018 – Ran my first 5k
- 200 pounds of food donated to The Mississauga Food Bank – January 2019
- Food Banks Canada to add GF to Data collection upon release in 2 years – January 2019
- 400 pounds of food donated to The Mississauga Food Bank – March 2019
- 100 pounds of food Donation to Feed It Forward – March 2019
- Food Rescue to add GF as a selective option in the dietary registration section – April 2019
I am happy to announce #GFREEWIFEYFOODBANK has been invited back to Gluten Free Garage to host another food drive.
This year for celiac awareness month I have selected Second Harvest as the recipient of all donations collected at this years event. This partnership will help second harvest support the Wychwood drop-in provide access to safe food within the local community.
Gluten Free Garage is TO’s original pop-up gluten-free marketplace like a farmers’ market with a gluten-free twist!
Gluten Free Garage is a one day event that attracts 2,000 attendees who come to:
- Discover the latest gluten-free finds—bakeries, restaurants and retailers that cater to their gluten-free needs
- Sample and purchase gluten-free food, beverages and related lifestyle products from a wide variety of vendors
- Eat to their hearts’ content without fear of getting glutened—GFG is a celiac-friendly and -safe event!
- Enjoy fresh and delicious gluten-free food prepared onsite
- Get information about celiac disease, gluten intolerance and the gluten-free diet
- Learn more about the gluten-free lifestyle from guest speakers
- Meet and chat with health experts
- Grab a free tote bag for all their gluten-free goodies
- Take home coupons for future purchases and samples of new favourite gluten-free products
Gluten Free Garage
601 Christie Street (2 blocks south of St. Clair Avenue)
Toronto, Ontario M6G 4C7
May 26, from 10 am to 4pm
Gfreewifey encourages you prior to the event, to clean out your cupboards of any excess gf food and to make room for the haul of new gf finds you will discover. Bring your non-perishable donations to the entrance of GFG where collection bins will be set up and Jessica will be onsite accepting your donations. Forgot to bring a donation no worries… its easy to support the food bank and your favorite vendors when your shopping at the event just remember the Gfreewifey motto and help provide access to safe food.
“BUY TWO – DONATE ONE”
We encourage vendors to donate any access at the end of the event to minimize food waste and help us on our mission to provide access to safe food. You can contact Jessica Danford Jess@gfreewifey(dot)com to pre-schedule a pickup or make alternate arrangement if you wish to contribute.
**THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR MAKING THE GFREEWIFEY FOOD INITIATIVES A SUCCESS, AND HELPING ME PROVIDE ACCESS TO SAFE FOOD IN OUR COMMUNITIES**
Hear all the details from founder RonniLyn on episode 65 of A Canadian Celiac Podcast as she spills all the details to host Sue Jennett.
Catch up with Gfreewifey on epsiode 48 of A Canadian Celiac Podcast as shed chats with host Sue Jennett.
Now available for sale online in print or ebook
A 92 page diverse collection of gluten-free recipes. Bringing together over 60 contributors from across the country and 65 gluten-free recipes with photos. Any recipes created to be photographed for this project were donated to feed hungry neighbors in our community. This supportive inspiring community gives you the confidence in the kitchen. For any and all levels of cooking there are delicious gfree food for you to cook for your self, you family and friends and enjoy without compromise in taste.
All profits from this project will directly benefit GFREEWIFEY Food-Bank initiative and partnerships.
Thank you to the project sponsors who help me complete this community initiative.